Friday, June 5, 2009

Why work, when you can read football articles?

First attempt at this, let's see how it goes then...

I came across this article during my daily browsing of certain websites, while at work.

Much to my disappointment the first few paragraphs didn't tell me anything more than I feel I already know. Skipping to the bit about Florentino Perez's pursuit of Kaka brought me back to a conversation I had the previous day with a friend, about a near pipe dream of mine that Real (Madrid) would in fact buy Kaka, and then promptly swap him for Ronaldo (The one who is still World class, in case there was any confusion)...but I digress

Scrolling through the article feeling none the wiser, (a failure as far as most articles go!) I came across a small black box! "Potential World XI of Transfers". I hope you're as interested as I was at this point...

1. Gianluigi Buffon (Juventus)
2. Maicon (Inter Milan)
3. Yuri Zhirkov (CSKA Moscow)
4. Nemanja Vidic (Man Utd)
5. Ricardo Carvalho (Chelsea)
6. Cesc Fabregas (Arsenal)
7. Cristiano Ronaldo (Man Utd)
8. Kaka (AC Milan)
9. David Villa (Valencia)
10. Zlatan Ibrahimovic (Inter)
11. Franck Ribery (Bayern)
Subs: Joleon Lescott, Xabi Alonso, Carlos Tevez, Sergio Aguero, Samuel Eto'o

...do you see it?
Here, I'll help a little

1. Blah
2. Blah
3. Blah
4. Blah
5. Blah
6. Blah
7. Blah
8. Blah
9. Blah
10. Blah
11. Blah
Subs: JOLEON LESCOTT, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah'h

Does this surprise anyone else?!
Ok, understood, the author is an English fellow. My best guess, Lescott is there by default.
1) No one is going to be fooled into believing that an English striker (potentially up for a transfer) could even compete with those already on the list.
2) No worthy English midfielders are up for a transfer anywhere...
3) Same goes for English defenders. Yes, Rio Ferdinand is probably England's best defender...(this next one is for the Chelsea fans, and those still living in the past about 2 years back), John Terry could be there too...but neither of them are leaving their clubs anytime soon

But really, that one name just stuck out like a sore thumb to me. I may be exaggerrating a tad. On a better day / time (i.e. not 3am) I'd crunch some of the numbers, show how almost everyone on that list has either won awards / trophies at the top level / made multiple appearances for their country. I'm pretty sure Lescott hasn't. If someone proves me wrong, I apologise...a bit.

For now, let's save his name for "Best XI central defenders in England", "Best XI Wolverhampton players to make an appearance for England"...

If it means leaving his name off of this list, then cut the subs bench to four players or something...anything rather than just throw in a filler to a class list like that!

Phew...that was a little longer than I expected!
Oh, and feel free to hit me back with any comments or whatever...you know the drill!
Cheers


No comments:

Post a Comment